VMware Cloud Community
gustlsoft
Contributor
Contributor

HA agent missing after vcenter upgrade to 6.7u3 52000

Hi community,

Last week I decided to upgrade our main vcenter instance (from 6.7u3 50000 to 52000).
It is a vcenter HA deployment, so I upgraded from the patch ISO file - not via VAMI upgrade funcionality.
I did this several times before and it worked without problems until now.

Yesterday I had to create a new cluster in one of our datacenters and was not able to joyn any of the existing the esxi hosts.

I'm preparing a vsphere 7 upgrade and so I had to migrate 2 esxi hosts from SD card boot medium to a SSD RAID1.
I exported the configurations of these hosts, installed the same build of the hypervisor to the RAID1 and imported the configurations back at the end - worked like a charm. Afterwards HA agents were missing, but this can be solved normally.

Not in my case - I didn't get HA working again. Several errors showed up in vcenter:

• vSphere HA agent for this host has an error: vSphere HA agent cannot be installed or configured
  • cannot synchronize host xxxx
  • and so on

I disconnected the hosts, removed them from inventory, rebooted them several times - no effort.

Finally I decided to check where the HA agent comes from and google presented me this vcsa path:
/etc/vmware-vpx/docRoot/vSphere-HA-depot

I connected to the active vcsa node and found out, that this folder was almost empty (only a basic folder straucture and xml files to be found). The passive node showed exactly the same result.

Luckily there is a second vcenter instance running in one of our other datacenters - a standalone vcsa, which I upgrade via VAMI before. In this appliance I found the VIB and other files that are missing in the vcenter HA cluster. I copied them from one system to the other and was able to re-activate VM HA on my cluster.

I assume, that patching vcenter with the ISO file is buggy at the moment.

0 Kudos
0 Replies