VMware Cloud Community
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

HA (So what happens if....?)

Hi All

Doing some vCenter  documentation here and a scenario has cropped up to which I really do not know the answer.

Lets assume an estate of 4 hosts

HA and DRS are enabled

There is one vCenter v6.0 u3

There are 2 external PSCs (not bound by rules etc)

Also assume the PSCs are not running on the same host as the vCenter 

So what happens if the ESXi Host where the vCenter is registered experiences a PSOD and falls over.

Of course normally HA kicks in and fires up the VMs on another host and then DRS spreads the love around.

But of course HA is a vCenter function, and the vCenter has just gone titsup as the host crashed....

So what actually happens in this case do I just have a bunch of VMs offline until I recover the host from the PSOD ..?

Answers on a postcard chaps .. Smiley Happy

Thanks

PAul

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

But of course HA is a vCenter function, and the vCenter has just gone titsup as the host crashed....

So what actually happens in this case do I just have a bunch of VMs offline until I recover the host from the PSOD ..?

HA does not require that vCenter be available to do its job; only to be available if modifications to HA are required. So, in short, if the host on which vCenter is running fails, it will be failed over just like any other VM. No PSODs involved.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

HA does not require that vCenter be available to do its job; only to be available if modifications to HA are required. So, in short, if the host on which vCenter is running fails, it will be failed over just like any other VM. No PSODs involved.

0 Kudos
Paulk99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cheers for the quick response sir

I was thing it would have been a chuffing big miss by VMware...

While I have tested HA failover in the lab (and seen it in prod on occasion) I was not of the mind to rip out the host which was hosting (even my lab vCentre)

Hope never to need to see it but will take that as good

Many thanks

0 Kudos