VMware Cloud Community
BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

GuestCustUtil.exe crashes on WinXP

Hello,

Hopefully I'm in the right place here, but if not, please could anyone redirect me to the right place?

We have been installing vCenter 5.1 and recently upgraded to Update 1. Since that time, the guest customization on WinXP fails with the Guestcustutil.exe crashing about instantly. The logs do not say a thing of use and the guestcust.log is not even complete due to the application crashing. The dump file created states there is an incorrect parameter passed and when looking at the parameters passed to the EXE, the command line looks like this:

C:\Windows\Temp\vmw7.tmp\guestcustutil.exe customize -sealparam "-quiet -mini -reseal -reboot"

Manually running the same command causes the same result.

Since I have been googling my back off about this, I only found something for vCenter 2.5 where the guestcustutil.exe had to be replaced. Could it be something similar here?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For those who might be interested, I finally found the solution to the issue. We use a registry key for the file system on startup for auto checking:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and value BootExecute. With this removed, the system can be customized just fine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

can you check the details of guestcustutil.exe in  C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\VirtualCenter Server\imgcust. this is from 5.1GA. this exe might have corrupted.

guestcustomize.JPG

0 Kudos
BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the quick response. the details of the file we have on VC are different, but could that come from the Update 1 we lately applied?

Or let me ask the question the other way around, where could I get the file prior to applying U1 from and probably backup/replace the current one?

GCUtil.PNG

0 Kudos
BZajac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For those who might be interested, I finally found the solution to the issue. We use a registry key for the file system on startup for auto checking:

Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager and value BootExecute. With this removed, the system can be customized just fine.

0 Kudos