VMware Cloud Community
tdingledine
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Getting message Insufficient Permissions to Retrieve Data when I try to access Update Manager in vCenter 5.5

I recently upgraded to VMware 5.5 and I am having an issue with Update Manager to where It says I don't have permissions to use it.  The plug-in installs fine without errors.  I have myself setup as an administrator but it still won't let me use it.  I am using vCenter to administer my hosts.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Ty

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To resolve this issue, Update Manager needs to be re-registered to the vCenter Server. This can be performed by re-installing Update Manager, however it can also be done without re-installing.

Step 1.

Remove update manager plugin from vCenter by following VMware KB: Removing unwanted plug-ins from vCenter Server

Step 2.

Login to the server on which Update Manager is installed

Open the Update Manager Utility located in your Update Manager install directory: VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe (by default located at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\)

Select Re-register with vCenter Server

Enter your vCenter Server credentials and select Apply

Once the operation completes successfully, you are prompted to restart the Update Manager service.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SanjaySP1
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To resolve this issue, Update Manager needs to be re-registered to the vCenter Server. This can be performed by re-installing Update Manager, however it can also be done without re-installing.

Step 1.

Remove update manager plugin from vCenter by following VMware KB: Removing unwanted plug-ins from vCenter Server

Step 2.

Login to the server on which Update Manager is installed

Open the Update Manager Utility located in your Update Manager install directory: VMwareUpdateManagerUtility.exe (by default located at C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\Infrastructure\Update Manager\)

Select Re-register with vCenter Server

Enter your vCenter Server credentials and select Apply

Once the operation completes successfully, you are prompted to restart the Update Manager service.

0 Kudos