VMware Cloud Community
kgmartin
Contributor
Contributor

Getting a hidden message when starting a VM - VMware ESX is running with no logging output

I'm migrating VMs from an older ESX 4.1 environment to a new ESXi 5.5 system.

Everything was going well, I would remove a VM from inventory on the old system, add it to the new system, start it and upgrade tools and hardware.  All was fine.

However, lately whenever I try to bring over a VM and start it, it hangs at 6%.

Seems that it is supposed to be displaying a message stating "VMware ESX is running with no logging output.  Logs improve VMware, Inc.'s ability to provide technical support if a problem occurs.  Select OK to continue or Cancel to cancel."  I see this displayed in the events of the host and the VM right after the power on sequence starts.

The problem is that other than in the events, this message isn't displayed anywhere.  So there is nowhere I can click OK or Cancel.

After about 20 minutes, the power on jumped to 36% and prompted me with the question was the VM moved or copied.  I selected Moved and it jumped to 44%.  Then about 20 minutes later it went to 57%.  Still no message about the logging.

So my issue is two fold. 1) Why am I getting this message, nothing in my 5.5 environment has changed and I have successfully moved other VMs prior without issue?  2.) Why isn't this message being displayed to a point where I can click OK or Cancel?

Thanks,

0 Kudos
0 Replies