VMware Cloud Community
BorgSquirrel
Contributor
Contributor

GUI upgrade vCSA 6.5->6.7. Retaining hostname - how to chose?

I may be overthinking this and I also have some previous bad experiences so...  in order to retain the same host name and IP address, what do I enter in this dialog?

pastedImage_0.png

Any nonsense name/or FQDN (donaldduck@mydomain.tld)? I did that last week in another location and it did not end as expected. When the wizard was done, I had 2 running instances and the one running 6.7 had the temporary name. Don't want that situation again so this is why I am asking.

VMware docs does not give much help in this respect except saying all about this VM is temporary and will be replaced with the source vCenter's name and IP and the source vCenter it will be shut down.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

That field is for the target of the new appliance, not the name of the new appliance. You simply put an ESXi host onto which it'll be deployed or a vCenter Server address. Has nothing to do with the hostname of the new appliance.

BorgSquirrel
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, I got the wrong screenshot. Will update the original post

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

The VM name and the hostname are separate. You can call the VM name whatever you want. When processing an upgrade, the hostname will automatically be ported over.

0 Kudos
BorgSquirrel
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, that is my understanding of how it should work, but it has failed before when I just went along with the guide and chose "[orginal_vm_name_uppgrade@mydomain.tld] and the end result was 2 running vCenters, the upgraded 6.7 one was still using the temporary name, not the old vCenter name so I am worried that I have misunderstood something here. Then again, maybe it was just a freak occurrence due to something else.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The display name (i.e. the name that you see in the inventory) that you enter won't be replaced with the original one in the upgrade process.

I usually append s.th. like "_v67" to the vCSA's display name, and leave it as such after the upgrade is done, so that the folder name matches the VM's name in the inventory.

André