VMware Cloud Community
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Freqent Alerts for Alarm.HealthStatusChangedAlarm vmware-vpostgres status changed from green to gray

Hello,

I upgraded my vCSA from 5.5 to 6.0 last Friday.  However, Friday evening I started to get frequent (10-50 minutes apart) alerts for HealthStatusChangedAlarm stating that the vmware-vpostgres status changed from green to gray.  I restarted the vCSA twice and it stopped for a while after each reboot, but then occurred most of the weekend.  I have checked the storage in use and sda3 is 37% used but most are under 6% when running the df -h command.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

32 Replies
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

I received an alert and was able to check the vPostGres process within 1 minute of the alert.  The process was running when I checked it.

Adam

0 Kudos
smidley
Contributor
Contributor

I am seeing this same alarm triggering after my update to vcenter 6.  I can't figure out how to make it stop.

0 Kudos
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Smidley,

I edited the rule to prevent emailing me when the service went from green to gray to stop the annoyance until I can fix the root cause.  It still triggers event log entries, but at least I don't get a billion emails a day about a seemingly false alert.

Adam

0 Kudos
jezisekj
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I have same problem after upgrading from 5.5 to 6, but I'm using vCenter on windows. Approximately every 30 minutes I'm getting message  "vmware-vpostgres status changed from green to gray " in events and after 40s

"vmware-vpostgres status changed from gray to green". Everything seems to work normally. Just this messages.

0 Kudos
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Did you migrate data from your 5.5 installation?  I told it to do so in my upgrade, I am just trying to find some commonality.  Thanks.

Adam

0 Kudos
jezisekj
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I migrated my data from builtin MS SQL Express to vSphere postgres with 5.5 to 6 upgrade process.

0 Kudos
barto_77
Contributor
Contributor

I have same problem. Fresh instalation: vsphere 6 + VCSA(tiny)

awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All, I am attempting to escalate this issue to VMWare support through the Dell support on my servers.  I will update the post if there is any resolution.

Adam

0 Kudos
BigWillX
Contributor
Contributor

I just wanted to comment that we're also seeing the same thing here after an upgrade from vCenter 5.1 Update 2 to vCenter 6.0. Data/configuration was migrated from the previous built-in SQL Express instance to postgres during the upgrade. We have vCenter installed on a Windows (2008 R2) VM running within the same datacenter.

0 Kudos
adammcc81
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are experiencing the same issue on a fresh install of 6.0 as well.

0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same here with a fresh VCSA 6.0 install, I receive the alarm every ~30min.

Event details:

vmware-vpostgres status changed from green to gray

0 Kudos
de2rfg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I received this KB article from support. But I don't see the same effects that are described there.

vCenter Server Appliance 6.0 displays the warning: VMware Postgres service memory usage has exceeded...

0 Kudos
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Did performing those steps resolve the issue?

Adam

0 Kudos
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

So I just heard back from Dell, who heard back from Vmware.  According to Dell, Vmware states that this is a known issue and will be resolved by a patch or bugfix that is yet to be released.  The alert is informational and non-impacting and there is no ETA on the fix.

Adam

RogerPT
Contributor
Contributor

Got the same problem with fresh install vsphere 6.0&vCenter.

Not fix yet?

0 Kudos
tcpip192
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here.

can´t find the e-mail settings for this notification?

tcpip

0 Kudos
Polar33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the update. Disabling an alert is all what's left I guess.

0 Kudos
awilliamsmjc
Contributor
Contributor

Login to vSphere Web Client > vCenter Inventory Lists > vCenter Servers > your vCenter server > Manage > Alarm Definitions > Search for "Health status changed alarm" > Click the Alarm with the name of "Health status changed alarm" > click Edit > Then I removed the email from the actions page.  Hope this helps.

Adam

Also, FYI, the issues is still not resolved and I was told this is a known issue that will be resolved with a patch.

0 Kudos
BrechtMonkerhey
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same issue on a fresh install.

I guess I'll just have to disable th notification trap on "health status changed alarm"...

0 Kudos