VMware Cloud Community
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Flash EOL - Web Console access of vCenter for operations

Hi Team,

Could you please provide me your suggestions / advices for vCenter Access from webclient after EOL of Flash. Do we need to follow any special instructions are steps.

Please provide me your valued suggestions.

Running Versions :

vCenter 6.5u3 

Esxi : 6.5u3

NSX Guest Introspection : 6.3.2

Regards,

Suresh.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

vSphere Web Client uses Adobe Flash which is being sunset soon. By Dec 2020, Adobe is stopping the support for Flash and all the browser vendors are aligned with this timeline to disable running Flash on them. Due to this sunsetting, there is a window of about 11 months where the Flash client (vSphere Web Client) may not work in customer environments when browsers are upgraded to the latest version.

VMware’s recommendation is to upgrade vCenter Servers to vSphere 6.7 Update 3 and use HTML5 based vSphere Client to manage vSphere environments. Customers will not need to upgrade ESXi hosts to 6.7 version as a method of addressing Flash Client supportability. Note that a 6.7 vCenter Server can manage vSphere 6.5 ESXi hosts. Ref https://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2020/04/vsphere-web-client-support-beyond-adobe-flash-eol.html

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78589

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

If you choose the VMware client (HTML5) you must use a browser that supports HTML5, most of them in their new versions support it.

If you choose the VMware Web Client (Flash), you must use a 32bits (old) browser with Flash support.
I work without problems in versions 6.0 and 6.5 with the following configuration:
Windows 8.1
Firefox 38.8 (32bits)
Adobe Flash 29.0.0.113
VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.X included in the VCSA ISO

Firefox 38.8 I only use it when I have to manage in VMware, for other things I use a more modern and updated browser

Attached link about web client and HTML5 available from version 6.5 to version 6.7

vSphere Client (HTML5) and vSphere Web Client 6.5 FAQ (2147929)

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2147929?lang=en_us

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
lucasbernadsky
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi, VPXA! William Lam wrote and excelent article about this topic: Adobe Flash is going away, is your VMware environment and IT Organization ready for it? 

Also, you may want to take a close look at this KB: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/78589 for more specific information.

I would you suggest to upgrade vCenter and ESXi to, at least, 6.7, where all the features are available from H5 client. And upgrading NSX to 6.4.8

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Regarding NSX, I would not worry unless you use SSL-VPN.
In that case you could still use it with API calls. 

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thanks for the useful info, sure we will plan for upgradation to 6.7u3. 

From 6.5u3 to 6.7u3 its straight forward upgrade right?

0 Kudos
VPXA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Freire,

Thanks for your help,

we are running with 6.5u3 version of vCenter, so instead of manually modifying the settings for Flash access, is the upgradation is the best plan! 

0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

I have hosts running esxi 6.0 and vcenter 6.0.

i missed the window to upgrade to html based and now can not access my vcenter. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Try and install an desktop  os somewhere that hasn't patched and an old version of chrome is the only real way to do it I believe.

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello alex4a

Personally I use the following combination, but only to manage VMware, to surf the internet I use a more current browser.

Firefox ESR 38.8 (32bits)

Adobe Flash player 29.0.0.113

Both the browser and the flash player must be configured so that they are never updated.

Enrique Espinel
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for your reply, much appreciated!
I was doing the same but now i think my firefox lost the Flash. How can i get it back?

I can not seem to find the install file anywhere on the web. any idea?

0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

To add to my question:
my intention is to move to vcenter 6.5 or 6.7. We are a small business and only have 2 hosts with 5 VMs.
What if I de-install the current 6.0 vcenter and install the HTML based 6.7 one.  Is there a problem there?
Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I found and old version of Firefox, configured it to disable updates and reinstalled the flash.
Now I can log back into my vcenter server with webclient but can't see my hosts. I get an error 443/sdk.
I need some advice here, I only have 2 hosts with 5 VMs. Is it worth to fight this or better just rebuild the Vcenter server?

0 Kudos
Ajay1988
Expert
Expert

Better to rebuild a new VC 6.7 U3 to stop the flash fight  ( I hope the ESXi's are 6.0 U3 or above)

If you think your queries have been answered
Mark this response as "Correct" or "Helpful".

Regards,
AJ
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
Try to install the pluing  VMware Client Integration 6.0 in the browser you are using.

VMware Client Integration Plugin 6.0 included in the VCSA ISO

If you could update your VMware version it would be very good.
First upgrade your vcenter server to version 6.7 Update 3 or install a new vcenter server with this version.
The vcenter server version 6.7 U3 is compatible with ESXi update 3 (check this level in your ESXi or upgrade).
Then you must upgrade the ESXi to version 6.7.

https://interopmatrix.vmware.com/#/Interoperability?isHideGenSupported=true&isHideTechSupported=true...

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for your support guys, I really, really appreciate it as I'm still learning these things...
I checked my ESXi : Both hosts have 6.0.0. build 5572656. That is not 6.0U3 right? 😞

0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

As I mentioned my environment is small and I can stop my servers on weekends. Esxi runs on internal USB on both hosts.
What if I create a new USB stick with ESXI 6.7 and replace my existing 6.0 with it. (Power down VMs, stop servers,etc)
And do everything you have suggested with regards to new VSCA 6.7U3.
Is that a valid path? or is there a better one considering my environment and my skill level?
Thx in advance!!!

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.

ESXi 6.0 Update 3a (ESXi 6.0 Patch 5) Build 5572656.

This article provides build numbers and versions of ESXi/ESX.

link: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2143832

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
As I understand the VMs are on disk or internal disks not on the USB key.
You have to validate that your server hardware is supported in version 6.7. If you are a known HW vendor (like HPE, Dell, Lenovo, IBM ...) it is easier to validate.

https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

It is also recommended to use the custom image of the server manufacturer otherwise use the standard VMware image.
Your plan to change the USB key for a new USB key where version 6.7 will be installed is good. Be careful when choosing the storage to install it should be the new USB key and not the internal disks where the VMs are located.

It is always advisable to have a full backup of the VMs before upgrading or changing VMware versions.

Enrique Espinel
0 Kudos
alex4a
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for looking at my plan, much appreciated.
-Yes my VMs are on HD and not on USB.
when you say to back up my VM-  do you recommend to do a snapshot or else? Also do you recommend to place the back up on external media?
---
I think I'll do one server at a time. My servers are Dell PE630 and PE 620 so compatibility that should not be a problem.
I'm just afraid of unexpected things, such as whether the VMs get recognized by the new vcenter, or other things.
I would appreciate if you give me some pointers or watch outs...

0 Kudos