VMware Cloud Community
Bunty11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

File Access Erro - RDM

When i am trying to move a folder which contains some -rdmp.vmdk files. I am getting below error.

"Move file ABCD-00406e-DR3-T2-1234 Unable to access file (name and path of file)"

The file is in this format  "-rdmp.vmdk". There are few more files in that folder with same extenstion. But all are getting moved to different location only one specific file with name "09-rdmp.vmdk" is giving above error.

The size of all rdmp file is 2 MB in that folder.

When i say "moved" i mean i went to datastore-> browsed it -> and on the top there is an option to move file between datastore. I am trying to move the files using that option and NOT SVMotion.

The VM was svmotioned to different datastore today morning. These rdm files are not mapped to the VM.

Please suggest.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

rdmp.vmdk files are the pointers to the RDM LUNs which are added to the VM ad RDM disks. These files will still continue in the VM folder even after removing the RDM from the VM.

You can safely remove it if it give any erro while copying the VM folder. You can add the RDM back to the VM with the LUN after a successful folder migration.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rpotru
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How did those RDMP files get created? I am trying to reproduce you situation here.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

rdmp.vmdk files are the pointers to the RDM LUNs which are added to the VM ad RDM disks. These files will still continue in the VM folder even after removing the RDM from the VM.

You can safely remove it if it give any erro while copying the VM folder. You can add the RDM back to the VM with the LUN after a successful folder migration.

0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I Agree with Yezdi, you need to delete RDM disks (this action don't touch Data, only affect to pointer files)  before to migrate to  another Datastore, and then you can re add RDM devices again.

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]