VMware Cloud Community
Kojow7
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Failed to start services. Firstboot Error.

I am testing vSphere 6.5 with the following setup:

I have a Windows 10 laptop with VMware Workstation 12 Pro installed. I have create a virtual machine in Workstation running Windows Server 2012 R2. I have set up AD and DNS on it. This server has an IP address of 192.168.59.129 and its FQDN is win2012.ad.example.com. I can ping the machine and DNS is working correctly. I have successfully also set up an ESXi host in another virtual machine and they can ping each other.

I am now trying to install vCenter Server Appliance 6.5, so far with no success. I am trying to use the OVA file: VMware-vCenter-Server-Appliance-6.5.0.5200-4944578_OVF10.ova located in the ISO. I understand after reading several articles that I first need to configure the .vmx file before booting my machine. I think the main reason is that I am not fully understanding the settings that should be placed in the file, specifically the vmdir settings. I have tried a number of different variations on the settings and still nothing seems to be working. My most recent configuration looks like this:

guestinfo.cis.deployment.node.type = "embedded"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr.family = "ipv4"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.mode = "static"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.pnid = "vc.ad.example.com"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.addr = "192.168.59.194"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.prefix = "24"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.gateway = "192.168.59.129"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.net.dns.servers = "192.168.59.129"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.root.passwd = "Password#1"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.ssh.enabled = "True"

guestinfo.cis.deployment.autoconfig = "True"

guestinfo.cis.appliance.ntp.servers = "pool.ntp.org"

guestinfo.cis.vmdir.password = "Password#1"

guestinfo.cis.vmdir.site-name = "mysite"

guestinfo.cis.vmdir.domain-name = "vsphere.local"

guestinfo.cis.ceip_enabled = "False"

I have also made sure that vc.ad.example.com is mapped correctly to 192.168.59.194 on the DNS server, including reverse DNS (PTR) entries.

After the server begins its initialization routine, I eventually get this error on the screen:

Failed to start services. Firstboot Error.

I am unable to ping the machine or connect through a web browser.

What am I doing wrong here?

As a side note, I should also point out that on boot up I am also getting the following errors which I am not sure if they are related or not, or if they can be safely ignored:

sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through (I am getting this line for all 12 drives sda through sdl)

A start job is running for dev-swap_vg-swap1.device (... / 1min 30s)

[TIME] Timed out waiting for device dev-swap_vg-swap1.device.

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for /dev/swap_vg/swap1.

[DEPEND] Dependency failed for Swap.

[FAILED] Failed to start LSB: Lightning fast webserver with light system requirements.

Are these errors safe to ignore, or are they the reason that I am getting the Firstboot Error?

Thank you for your help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Your system have no sufficent resources available to start the Vcenter services.

As 6.5 have bit high demand of CPU & Memory.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jitu211003
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Your system have no sufficent resources available to start the Vcenter services.

As 6.5 have bit high demand of CPU & Memory.

0 Kudos
virtmaster01
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any one reading these?

Why would this be the correct answer ?

"Your system have no sufficent resources available to start the Vcenter services.

As 6.5 have bit high demand of CPU & Memory."

That is wrong.  When you go through the install, it asks for the sizing of the vcenter and this is automatically set, so this is not the issue/cause of the problem.