VMware Cloud Community
virtualhelp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Failed to create snapshot on virtual machine

Hello,

I have a client that has two virtual machines with SAP, windows server 2008 R2 operating system.

In these two VMs, the backup made with the Networker tool is failing. Checking the vm I found that in the repository, there are still snapshots associated with the disks.

I guess that's why the backup is failing. The backup has been failing for two days.

In my experience when this happens, it is to take a Quiesce snapshot, since it is a more consistent snapshot and then delete it. And then run the backup again.

the problem is that those two VMs have large amounts of disk and the datastore where it is located has only 2.23 TB free.

I would like to make a Quiesce snapshot in one of the vm, but my question is whether when taking the snapshot the datastore can crash because of the little space and the vm are very robust.

VM-1: 16 vCPU, 80GB RAM, Disk 1: 250GB, Disk2: 80GB, Disk3: 70GB, Disk4: 1.21TB.

VM-2: 16 vCPU, 80GB RAM, Disk1: 400GB, Disk2: 250GB, Disk3: 200GB, Disk4: 3TB.

I would like to hear some suggestions. Thanks.

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
beow00lf
Contributor
Contributor

Are you sure, that NetWorker is not trying to make a quiesced snapshot already? There's a setting called Application Queiescing or something like that which basically means vm-image backup will be created using quiesced snapshot.

I'm also not sure that simply creating a new snap and deleting it will remove old deltas - you may try, but...

I used to remove old deltas manually - but you need to be sure first, that they are not in use.

Going to quiescing and free space - I've never considered quiesced snapshots to be taking more space (maybe I'm missing something...).
In general they should ask OS to pause operations for a moment, to make a snapshots when no operation is just in the middle of doing something. So if it would fail - I'd stick to that "vms are very robust" part, but on the OS level (too many things ongoing -> OS refuses to quiesce -> snapshot creation fails) which may albo be the case for failed backup.

0 Kudos