VMware Cloud Community
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Explain Ballooning according to my scenario

Hello,

Can you guys explain me a little bit values related to Memory, i know we have documentation but it is hard to digest. (Seescreenshot)

I have a VM with 2 vCPU and 4GB of vRAM

I have set Resources on Memory by limiting it to 1024MB and after that I got the following error "High balloon memory utilization for UPIDSDWebTest has been changed to Error (previous state: Warning)"

Then I changed the limit to 3GB. Do not see the error but still ballooning.

In other words what is the purpose of Limiting ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

An example: Consider your boss wants to have a VM for his own use with 16GB memory. You assign 16GB memory to it (this is what the guest OS will see) but limit memory to 2GB (because you know he won't need 16GB anyway) Smiley Wink

Seriously, I don't see a real use case for memory limits. What I could think of is an environment, where users are charged for physical memory usage, but need an option to dynamically increase it without downtime for the VM (i.e. the VM does not support hot-adding memory).

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

An example: Consider your boss wants to have a VM for his own use with 16GB memory. You assign 16GB memory to it (this is what the guest OS will see) but limit memory to 2GB (because you know he won't need 16GB anyway) Smiley Wink

Seriously, I don't see a real use case for memory limits. What I could think of is an environment, where users are charged for physical memory usage, but need an option to dynamically increase it without downtime for the VM (i.e. the VM does not support hot-adding memory).

André

0 Kudos
gerf0727
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmmm, interesting Good example. And, what if you increase the limit to more than the given memory, let's say 6gb on my scenario which the VM has 4gb?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Andre excellent example - I could not think of one but yours is excellent - o to the original question - I never use limits -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Easy question, you cannot set the limit to more than the provisioned amount of memory.

André