VMware Cloud Community
mvradio
Contributor
Contributor

Expanded esxi virtual machine with snapshot in place

Hi,

Im running VMware ESXi, 6.7.0, 17700523 and I have a Win Server 2016 virtual machines, it was low on disk space with only 5mb left

So I expand Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed 60GB to 101GB without thinking and I forgot it was running on Snapshot 2, I expend by vmfxtools from ssh.

Apparently, the main Disk is now 101GB wont match with the old Snapshot 1 & Snapshot 2 (60GB), now It wont power on.

What Back up I have:

I have the original 60GB and Snapshot 1 works fine on my PC workstation.

I tried to create snapshot 2 and replace the files with snapshot2.vmdk, vms, vmem and edited vmx and vmsd with no luck.

it responded  "The parent virtual disk has been modified since the child was created"

I think this is a close move on getting the VM to power up again with Snapshot2.

There are solution for esxi, but Im having issues for uploading this backup to ESXI

There is no network assigned to this virtual machine.

This virtual machine uses hardware version 16, which is no longer supported. Upgrade is recommended.

There is nothing for me to edit nor power on.

Other Approach:

I have tired to upload the original 60GB to ESXI server

I created a new Virtual Machine on ESXi and tried to add existing Disk

I was thinking about shrinking Thick Provision Lazy Zeroed 101GB on ESXI back to 60GB, but from the KB I saw seems not possible.

Final Target:

I only need to retreive the files in the VM, if the virtual machine is not able to power back on it fine.

I can re-deploy a new server with the files in the virtual machine.

If there are any other recommended solutions, please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As a first step, please run ls -lisa > filelist.txt from the ESXi host's command line (in the VM's folder). Then compress/zip filelist.txt, the .vmdk descriptor files (the small text files), along with the VM's .vmx file, and attach the .zip archive to your next reply.

Did you do any modification on the original VM on the ESXi host yet? If yes, please explain exactly what you did so far.

André

0 Kudos