VMware Cloud Community
yostiefs
Contributor
Contributor

Excluding VM from HA availability constraints not removing VM reservation from cluster resource calculation

A client of mine is having an odd issue with a 3 node Nutanix cluster.  Nutanix has a VM which runs on each host in the cluster which enables the HCI functionality.  Each VM uses a 10GHz reservation that is not supposed to be removed.  Nutanix best practice is to set that VM to have it's VM Restart Priority set to Disabled.  From my research, that is supposed to make HA not take those reservations into consideration when computing available cluster capacity.  However, when we look at the cluster Reserved Capacity, it says 36GHz which means the (3) 10GHz VMs are not being subtracted.  No other VM has a reservation set so only 32MHz/VM should be added to the Reserved Capacity and there are only 15 VMs total on the machine so that is negligible.  I believe the other 6GHz being reserved is for the ESXi hosts themselves.

Why wouldn't these reservations be removed from the Reserved Capacity if they are excluded from HA? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mhampto
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Disabling restart does not remove the virtual machine from HA.  There are some steps available here: How to disable HA/DRS option on one VM ?

0 Kudos