VMware Cloud Community
albert3858
Contributor
Contributor

Essentials Plus licence issues with vCenter Server

We're running v6.5 with an Essentials Plus licence and have successfully registered the licence with the one ESXI instance we have. However, despite uploading the licence successfully to vCenter Server using the Powercli instructions here - https://www.altaro.com/vmware/vsphere-licensing-powercli/ - (we can't install the licence using vCenter Client as the functionality for that is not available in v6.5) we cannot add a host to our vCenter Server. 

At the "Assign License" step in the "Add Host" process, "The license assignment is valid" message is displayed. However, "Usage" in the same window shows 2 CPUs (which is correct), but "Capacity" shows 0 CPUs.

In the next two steps, Lockdown mode is set to disabled and the VM Location is correct. 

Unfortunately, after clicking Finish, the "License not available to perform the operation." error is displayed and the Add Host process fails.

In case it matters, there is also an expired evaluation license on the server (it shows up in the Add Host dialog) but the Essentials Plus license was selected for the above process, not this eval license.

Any possible solutions v gratefully received. Thx.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To better understand the issue, please post some screenshots which show the license types, capacity, etc. in vCenter Server, as well as on the ESXi host.
Make sure that the license key itself is grayed out on the screenshots that you provide!

André

0 Kudos
albert3858
Contributor
Contributor

Thx - image files attached.

ESXI.jpg

Add Host 1.jpg

Add Host 2.jpg

Add Host 3.jpg

Result.jpg

  

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

That's strange.
What you may try is to remove/delete the ESXi license from the vCenter Server's license inventory to see whether the host's license will be imported with adding the host?

André

0 Kudos
albert38581
Contributor
Contributor

Thx. I can't do that as there is no license management functionality in v6.5 client. I've tried removing the license from ESXI directly first, but Add Host still fails in the same way.

(I'm the original poster but when I logged back in the system forced me to have a new user name.)

0 Kudos
albert38581
Contributor
Contributor

Just tried again after removing the license from ESXI first and got the attached when trying to add host

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... there is no license management functionality in v6.5 client

Did you login to the vCenter Server Web GUI https://name-or-ip/ui/ using the administrator@vsphere.local account?

André

0 Kudos
albert38581
Contributor
Contributor

Yes

0 Kudos