VMware Cloud Community
sbala
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Error while adding vmware host to vcenter

Hi,

I have VMware ESXi 5.1 free edition installed. When i tried to add my host to vcenter 5.1 with evaluation version i get the below error message. I cannot use esxi 5.1 free edition with vcenter 5.1 evaluation version is it?

"The host is licensed with VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor. The license edition of vCenter Server does not support VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor".

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sbala,

The free version of the hypervisor can not be managed by vCenter.

You need to license the hosts as well with at least ESXi Standard - the free version of the Hypervisor cannot be managed with vCenter.

Thanks

Pramod

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PramodKhalate
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi sbala,

The free version of the hypervisor can not be managed by vCenter.

You need to license the hosts as well with at least ESXi Standard - the free version of the Hypervisor cannot be managed with vCenter.

Thanks

Pramod

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You will need to habe both the host and VC on evaluation for this to work.

http://www.tech-tap.com/2012/01/04/how-to-license-the-free-vmware-vsphere-hypervisor/

<snip>

Can only be managed using the vSphere Client connected directly to the ESXi host. No management via vCenter server.

</snip>

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!