VMware Cloud Community
arvin1201
Contributor
Contributor

Error on installing Vcenter server 5.0 on windows 8

Hello,

While installing Vcenter server 5.0 on Windows 8 getting an error, "Vcenter server is not supported on this platform". Can you please help me

Error is attached

Rgds

Arvin

0 Kudos
4 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

vCenter server can be installed only on server OS with 64 bit and not on Client OS. Below are OS on which vCenter can be installed

These operating systems are supported:
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 SP1 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter R2 64bit
  • Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Standard, Enterprise or Datacenter SP1 64bit

Check Minimum system requirements for installing vCenter Server

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
arvin1201
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you

0 Kudos
arvin1201
Contributor
Contributor

As this Vcenter 5.0 requires 4 GB of memory, can i use the older version of the Vcenter for the Esxi 5.1 hosts

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

As this Vcenter 5.0 requires 4 GB of memory, can i use the older version of the Vcenter for the Esxi 5.1 hosts

If you want to use ESXi 5.1 you would need to install vCenter 5.1 . Check VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes

I hope you are planning to test vSphere, if this case you can use VMware Workstaion and on top of it you install ESXi provided your hardware support.

Check Building the Ultimate vSphere Lab as sample

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos