VMware Cloud Community
ManiacMark
Contributor
Contributor

Error during a CLONE operation. Corrupt datastore?

I have a guest running ESXi6.0 with window server OS.
The OS seems to be running fine.

I am having trouble backing up the sever. I'm using Nakivo to backup the guest, but it fails half way through the backup with a generic error that it's having trouble reading the source disk.

So I wanted to make a CLONE of this VM to a different datastore.
I'm using vCenter to do the clone.

The clone process starts, but after a few minutes an error appears: Error caused by file /vms/volumes/56248.../db2/db2-00001.vmdk

Does this mean there is corruption in the source datastore?
Does anyone know how I can resolve this and take a clone before things get worse?

I'd like do to a clone to ensure I don't lose anything. But I'd also like to fix the source datastore if I can before it effects the OS.

Any thoughts?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You can confirm corruption in datastore by reviewing vmkernel logs of esxi host

less /var/log/vmkernel , if you review this file and look for error regarding datastore should shed some light on this issue

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
BarryGrowler
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Checking the disk's integrity with VMware's tools and looking into the datastore's health are good first steps. If standard methods like Nakivo backup or vCenter cloning aren't working, trying a V2V conversion with VMware's Converter might help you get around the issue. Given the situation's complexity, I'd also recommend posting on the Nakivo forum for more insights. Other users there might have faced similar problems and could offer different solutions.

0 Kudos