VMware Cloud Community
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Error: Migration Assistant VCSA 6.5

Good afternoon,

I am currently trying to migrate and update my vcenter 5.5 to VCSA 6.5.

When executing the migration wizard, it indicates the following error (See image). Validating the logs, does not indicate more information.

I would like to validate if you have seen the error and the possible solution.

I am running the installer from another Windows server, which are in the same VLAN of the vCenter and in the same ip range.

I remain attentive to your answers.

ju
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I am running the installer from another Windows server ...

The installer itself needs to run on a different system. However, the Migration Assistant has to run on the vCenter Server (in case UAC is enabled, you may need to start it "As Administrator").

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

good afternoon,

Okay, so I'm going to run the migration wizard on the server where I currently have my vcenter installed.

and the upgrade wizard on the other server.

Right?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, exactly.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

Run the migration wizard from the server where I have vCenter.

Enter the corresponding credentials of the administrator@vsphere.local and the service user when you perform the vcenter installation for the first time.

Start doing the check, but then indicate the following error (see attached image).

I'm running the migration wizard, as administrator.

indicates problems with the user that I am executing the upgrade.

Error VCSA Migration User.PNG

Stay tuned to your comments.

ju
0 Kudos
msripada
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VMware Knowledge Base Check this KB

Thanks,

MS

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

good afternoon

Thanks for the KB, the problem was that the service user was not added to the Loca Security Poliy \ user rights Assignment \ Replace to process level token.

I proceeded to add my service user and followed the migration and upgrade process.

I'm not finished yet, any event, I'll write again.

Greetings.

ju
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good afternoon,

I am in the part of placing the network data.

but it does not allow me to select the VLAN where my Vcenter is, which is 1150.

Only in the list does 1159 appear.

You can give it next and at the end of the upgrade you can change it to vlan 1150.

VCSA Network VLAN.PNG

or would there be any consequences?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The error message basically tells you what's expected. Only port groups on standard vSwitches, or Ephemeral ports groups are supported.

What you need to do is to create an Ephemeral port group for the VCSA network/VLAN.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

In account, I have created is a distributed switch for all my platform.

I currently have that VLAN configured as Static Binding. View image.

Vlan Prod_1150.PNG

And in that VLAN there are 4 VMs with Windows Server 2012, which are my vcenter, my SRM and two monitoring servers.

My questions:

Would a problem arise if I create an ephemeral group of ports in my distributed swicht?

Does it only work with a standard switch?

Could I change it to ephemeral and would affect these four servers?

Or do I have to create a standard switch and an ephemeral port?

I remain attentive to your comments.

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Best practice is to create an additional ephemeral port group on your distributed switch (e.g. "Prod_1150_eph"), and connect your vCenter server to it.

Ephemeral port groups are also visible in the vSphere Client while directly connected to a host. This is helpful in cases when vCenter Server isn't available.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

ok in mind

but when creating another ephimeral portgroup with a different name as you are indicating to me. Would the other VMs belonging to that VLAN be affected at the network level?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

No, you can have multiple port groups with the same VLAN ID, no matter whether you're using standard, or distributed switches.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Goodnight

Then there is no problem in creating a new ephimeral port group with the same id of my vcenter vlan.

Tomorrow I will proceed to create the port group ephimeral and I will indicate the results.

regards..

ju
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

I have the following doubt, when creating the new ephemeral portgroup, it must have the same configurations, policies, active uplinks, unsead uplinks, traffic shapping, load balancing that the original portgroup where my vcenter is currently configured?

Or is that indifferent to this case? just create the new ephemeral portgroup, regardless of its configurations and policies?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I don't know how complex your configuration is, but I would likely configure the port group similar to the one to which your vCSA is currently connected to keep things simple.

You can however configure it completely different, as long as the vCSA has access to the required VLAN.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning,

I have the following doubt, when creating the new ephemeral portgroup, it must have the same configurations, policies, active uplinks, unsead uplinks, traffic shapping, load balancing that the original portgroup where my vcenter is currently configured?

Or is that indifferent to this case? just create the new ephemeral portgroup, regardless of its configurations and policies?

ju
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Did you copy&paste these question accidentally? You've asked the same question in your previous post to which I've already replied.

André

0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

Good Morning

I proceeded to create the new ephemeral portgroup associated with the VLAN where I want my new VCSA. The created VLAN appears in the installation wizard.

I only have one question, in my distributed switch I have another VLAN1159 that is ephemeral and has five ports assigned and none in use (See image 1)

My new ephemeral portgroup when I created it, assign it 5 ports. but in sumary it appears that it does not have available ports. I go to Edit Settings and it does not allow me to modify the number of ports. (View image 2).

I understand that an ephemeral portgroup allocates the ports when it detects that the VM is on and connected.

1- VLAN 1159 (Portgroup ephemeral):

pastedImage_3.png

2- VLAN NEW (Portgroup ephemeral) for VCSA 6.5:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

ju
0 Kudos
jlovera
Contributor
Contributor

buenos días

Procedi a crear el nuevo portgroup ephemeral asociado a la VLAN donde quiero mi nuevo VCSA. En el asistente de instalación ya aparece la VLAN creada.

Solo tengo una duda, en mi switch distribuido tengo otra VLAN1159 que es ephemeral y tiene cinco puertos asignados y ninguno en uso (Ver imagen)

Mi nuevo portgroup ephemeral cuando procedi a crearlo, le asigne 5 puertos. pero en sumary aparece que no tiene puertos disponibles. Voy a Edit Settings y no me permite modificar el número de puertos. (Ver imagen).

Tengo entendido que un portgroup ephemeral, asigna los puertos cuando detecta que la VM se encuentra encendida y conectada.

Picture 1:

pastedImage_5.png

Picture 2:

pastedImage_6.png

quedo atento a sus comentarios.

ju
0 Kudos