VMware Cloud Community
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

Error: Invalid hostname. FQDN is required for joining a domain when configuring vmware vcenter appliance

Hey Guys,

This is my first time configuring VMware vcenter appliance.  I have a question, have any of you seen the attached error?  I get it when I try to configure Active directory settings.  I saw one forum that states it happens when dns is not configured properly.  I create host and ptr record for the virtual appliance and still no luck getting it to work.  I've deployed this on my home lab which is on VMware workstation 12.5.  I also tried it from VMware esx server and still getting the same error.  I attached the error.

12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please try the below shown format for domain and user:

Domain = yourdomain.com

User = administrator@yourdomain.com

André

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Domain Name =  yourdomain.com

Account = use any service account / Administrator account    (Domain/User ID   or  username@domain.com)

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've tried what you suggested and it didn't work.  do you have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I've tried what you suggested and it didn't work.  do you have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

could you please confirm that AD & DNS is on workstation or it is an external and your esxi and vcenter only in work station .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
indianavenger
Contributor
Contributor

hi, what do you mean?  i have AD and DNS setup.  what do you want me to check?

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Your AD and DNS server is on work station  (VM )  or it is external one and you are trying to configure VCSA on work station .

Which version of VCSA you are trying ?

ESXi version ?

0 Kudos
HarjitSB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, We need to define the DNS IP first then five the domain name not the server name as host name.

please check the following link, i may help you.

Configuring vCenter Server Appliance 5.5 vCenter Single Sign-On with Active Directory authentication...

Rgds

-Harjit !

knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

it's on vmware workstation.   i am using 5.5.

0 Kudos
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

yes, thats what i did. thx

0 Kudos
HarjitSB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That's Good.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
knightrider1994
Contributor
Contributor

but that did not fix my issue.  does anyone else have more suggestions?

0 Kudos