VMware Cloud Community
ASIS_Intl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Enabling Enhanced Link Mode on 2 disparate vCenter Servers w/ external PSC

Hello!

I have 2 vCenter servers on 6.0u2 and 60.u3, each with their own external PSC. I'm attempting to figure out a way to enable enhanced link mode without rebuilding the entire environment.

As it stands, each of the PSCs have it's own SSO domain, but they are called the same thing. After running vdcrepadmin command for verification I have learned that the 2 PSCs know nothing about each other. Drat. From my understanding, if the 2 PSCs were replicating, then life would be fairly straightforward. Unfortunately they are not.

So let us take the following scenario. I have vCenter A pointing to PSC A along with vCenter B pointing to PSC B. I've got IPsecs and connectivity between the sites, and the SSO domain is called the same thing (thanks for making life confusing, self), but they are running on separate SSO domains.

I am wondering if it's possible to repoint one of the vCenter servers to the PSC it isn't currently pointing too (vCenter A and vCenter B pointing to PSC A, nothing pointing to PSC B). Something like https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=21311....

At that point I could retire PSC B, rebuild PSC Bv2.0 at that site, and during setup configure it to join an existing SSO domain rather than having it's own. After that is setup and happy with replicating between itself and PSC A, I could then repoint vCenter B to look to PSC Bv2.0 to enable enhanced link mode.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? I'm seeing a lot of documentation on migrating/reconfiguring a standalone vCenter Server w/ embedded PSC to a vCenter w/ external PSC, repointing vCenter Servers to a different external PSC (if within same domain), but I can't get a clear picture of the process to use with the situation I am in.

Thanks in advance Smiley Wink

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
senthilkumarms8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have personally tested this scenario. the limitation here is you cannot re-point/reconfigured the vCenter to another SSO. the only option is we have to rebuild the entire vCenter in either one of the site.

in some of the VMware documentation is saying about site reconfiguration scenario. but it is not about sso repoint, it only reconfigures the site name. that is also deprecated in vCenter 6.5.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
senthilkumarms8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have personally tested this scenario. the limitation here is you cannot re-point/reconfigured the vCenter to another SSO. the only option is we have to rebuild the entire vCenter in either one of the site.

in some of the VMware documentation is saying about site reconfiguration scenario. but it is not about sso repoint, it only reconfigures the site name. that is also deprecated in vCenter 6.5.

ASIS_Intl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the answer! I probably can find this documented somewhere...but would you happen to know if I can pair the (existing) NSX components up at each site for a cross-vCenter NSX configuration without having the vCenters paired up under the same SSO domain?

0 Kudos
senthilkumarms8
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yes it is possible. you can pair Sit-A NSX Magner to Sita-A vCenter and Site-B NSX manager to Site B vCenter.

For NSX cross vCenter deployment linked mode is not mandatory.

ASIS_Intl
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ah ok, so I can have universal synchronization across certain NSX objects in both environments without using vCenter Enhanced Link Mode...got it! Thank you very much for the input.

0 Kudos