VMware Cloud Community
islammanjurul
Contributor
Contributor

Enable/Turn on Fault Tolerance on VCSA 6.5 itself

Hello,

I have VCSA 6.5 running on my infrastructure. Esxi hosts are also running version 6.5, all enterprise license. I want to enable FT on some VMs, and I was able to do them without any issues, just a warning came that the network is not sufficient enough for FT logging even though I am using 2x 10 GB/s on a cisco switch in teaming.

However I cannot enable FT on the VCSA VM itself. When I try to turn on a alert shows that FT cannot be enabled on VM which has CPU Hotplug enabled. So I turned down the vcsa and from the esxi unchecked CPU Hot-plug and reboot the VCSA. Now again trying to enable FT, the same warning is coming. This time I checked the VM settings from the vcenter itself and found there is another option called CPU hot-remove, and I cannot uncheck that since the VM (VCSA) is still powered on. Even I cannot power it down otherwise since this setting changes must be made on vcenter, then where will vcenter come if it is down already.

So I need to know is there any way to uncheck cpu hot-remove from the VCSA's VM settings so that I can enable FT? or FT is not possible on the VCSA itself?

Solution for Future - Virtualization, Workspace delivery
0 Kudos
3 Replies
junian_dani
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

FT is a supported availability options for vCenter Server. You can check it on VMware KB page (1024051). I think one of the technical approach we can use is by creating another vCenter Server (let's say vCSA for Management Cluster) and then add existing ESXi host which currently run your previous vCenter Server. Afterwards, you can connect to newly created vCenter Server with vSphere Web Client and uncheck 'Enable CPU Hot Remove' option from previous vCSA VM configuration.

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

Hi ,

Using power cli you can apply the value to false , but it will take effect only after restart . You may try that

Please check below

http://davidstamen.com/powercli/powercli-enable-cpu-and-memory-hotadd/

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
miguelmolina
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

I can help you!  🙂

1) First you need to connect to the host (server) that are running your vCenter (VCSA).

2) After that Shutdown the vCenter.

3) Browse the datastore that store the files of vCenter.

4) Look for the folder of vCenter and download the   *.vmx file of your virtual machine.

5) Change the entry:

vcpu.hotremove = "TRUE"

and put

vcpu.hotremove = "FALSE"

6) Upload the file *.vmx to the folder

7)  Start your vCenter

That´s All!!!!

It´s very easy ....  🙂

Miguel Molina

VCP 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

VCAP-DCA

VMware Instructor  (VCI)