VMware Cloud Community
TheAsset13
Contributor
Contributor

Effect of changing vCenter servers system locale

I was wondering if there would be any negative effects to vCenter server (4.1) if I were to change the system locale of the underlying operating system (Windows Server 2008 R2).

The reason I wish to change is that Server 2008 was installed with the default locale of "English (United States)" that uses the MM/DD/YYYY date format. I wish to change the locale to "English (New Zealand)" which uses the DD/MM/YYYY format as this suits the system we use here in New Zealand.

Has anyone tried this & could tell me if this will effect vCenter or the associated databases?

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vTagion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

TheAsset13,

I don't believe you should see any issue changing your local as vCenter is used worldwide I can't imagine the database having issues with this. I however, have not tried this yet but if you are worried about it, I would backup the database and give it a shot. It's possible that it flips the dates in the logs from that point backward, but I really don't think you'll have a problem with it.

Let us know how it goes when you change it.

If you felt my comment was helpful or solved your problem, please return the favor of marking my answer as solved. Thanks! | http://www.vTagion.com
TheAsset13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I believe you are correct as I setup a 4.1 lab on my home pc & simulated changing the system locale. Everything seemed to be ok afterwards. I took a peek inside the database & noticed that all dates are stored as YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS so the system locale looks to only determine how the dates are displayed, not stored.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos