VMware Cloud Community
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

EVC and different esxi version

1- Do we can EVC just we have diffrence CPU ? or if i had 4 esxi host in my cluster that mix from esxi 6.0 and  6.5  had to use EVC?

2- noe i have 3 esxi host with different cpu now i want put of them on a cluster i know have to enable EVC on cluster but now is that necessary power off all vms that are reside on esxi hosts that had to put in cluster and there is not any way put esxi hosts and vms in cluster after EVC has been enabled ?

BR

Babak

Please mark helpful or correct if my answer resolved your issue.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Babak

VMs need not be removed from the host or moved to a different host.

VMs need to be in powered off State and the host need to be in Maintenance Mode.

Reason for this is when you enable the EVC mode and select a particular EVC configuration, Same configuration is being updated on the VMs in the cluster.

We would not be able to update the virtual machine configuration in a powered on state, since which we need to power off the VM.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Babak

If the customer contains host with different CPU family then we would require EVC mode to perform vmotion.

If the cluster contains multiple ESXI versions (6.5 or 6.0) for this EVC mode is not required.

In order to enable EVC Mode we would need to have the hosts in Maintenance mode, which requires the VM to be power off.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

so thanks

i just want sure when i  put a few hosts in EVC mode vms reside on that must power off and host must evacuate means i have down time in my services is that correct ?

BR

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello Babak

VMs need not be removed from the host or moved to a different host.

VMs need to be in powered off State and the host need to be in Maintenance Mode.

Reason for this is when you enable the EVC mode and select a particular EVC configuration, Same configuration is being updated on the VMs in the cluster.

We would not be able to update the virtual machine configuration in a powered on state, since which we need to power off the VM.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
baber
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

if i want put all of hosts to EVC cluster i have down time in my services is that correct ?

BR

Babak

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Yes you would required downtime to perform this action. All the VMs(Service running in the VM) would be down at this point of time.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash