VMware Cloud Community
Andy_Brunner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi Essentials License not using all CPU's?

I have one ESXi 6.7 system with a vCenter 6.7 installed and licensed as "Essential Kit".

ESXi:

ESXi.png

vCenter License:

License.png

My interpretation is that the ESXi only runs with one CPU instead of the possible 6 CPUs. Or how is the Essential 6-CPU license applied?

Thanks for any clarification.

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your 1 ESXi host has a single-socket CPU, therefore it's only using 1 license.

The kits are for 3 hosts maximum with up to 2 CPU sockets each - hence you have 6 licenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your 1 ESXi host has a single-socket CPU, therefore it's only using 1 license.

The kits are for 3 hosts maximum with up to 2 CPU sockets each - hence you have 6 licenses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Andy_Brunner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks a lot for this quick answer.

I wasn't sure how ESXi calculates the CPU's (Sockets, Cores, Logical Processors or Hyperthread-CPU).

So it comes down to the number of physical sockets on the board.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Here you go: Update to VMware’s per-CPU Pricing Model | VMware

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

You need 2 different answers because one is a license related one an the other a more technical.

1. You bought a license bundle which give you the right to use up to 3 hosts with 2 sockets each. Including the right to use one instand of vCenter Essential to manage up to 3 ESXi Essentials licensed hosts

2. ESXi counts the sockets, cores and enable HT to get the number of total Logical CPUs. License wise only sockets and cores count.

You have a single CPU with 8 cores and HT enabled in your Host which ends up in 16 logical CPUs.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Andy_Brunner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello Joerg

Thanks a lot for your clarification! It really helps in understanding the VMware licensing.

Andy

0 Kudos