VMware Cloud Community
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 6.5 - change VM autostart options via web interface.

I upgraded to ESXi 6.5 and am trying to figure out how to change the behaviour of the autostart/stop feature via the vSphere Web Client. Previously I've used the Windows thick client for this stuff but as that's being phased out I'm trying to do everything through the web interface.. even if it does love to crash and generally not work even close to as well, but such is life.

All I can find is a global option to turn the feature on or off. Does such a basic and simple function really require a vCenter server? Because I have no interest in running one for this deployment, it's just overkill.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nevermind, sorry, said it was 6.5. Update your host client to the Fling version provided here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you login to the ESXi embedded host client (https://<FQDN>/ui), go to Manage -> System -> Autostart for this.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

... OK then. I don't get a list of VM's. No wonder I can't find the option.

Here's what I see: vmware.PNG

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

What version of ESXi is this? What version of the host client?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Nevermind, sorry, said it was 6.5. Update your host client to the Fling version provided here.

0 Kudos
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

6.5.0 (Build 4887370)

0 Kudos
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cheers, I'll do that now and see if that fixes it Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You're also on a really early patch of 6.5. It's strongly recommended you apply the latest patches for a variety of reasons.

0 Kudos
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

And fixed! I now have a list of VM's. Sadly I still don't seem to be able to list a shutdown option as "none" for the one I want (I want to be able to have a particular VM autostart but not autoshutdown), but that's another topic.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
snktech
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Huh you're right.. I upgraded last week I thought I pushed it to the latest version but apparently not. Best sort that out before I do anything further.

0 Kudos