VMware Cloud Community
michel_desbiens
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6,5 : Disk drives now showing up as external drives

Hello,

My configuration: ESXi 6,5, Local Datastore on SSD, Guest OS : Red Hat Linux 7 and OS X Server, iSCSI storage on Synology mounted by VMware

Disks configuration: disk #1 - Boot drive on the internal server Datastore

disk #2 - iSCSI data storage from the Synology

I have decided to increase the size of the boot disk of one of my guest OS (vSphere configuration) and the operation failed. The allocated VMware size was ok, but the OS was unable to use it. There was an inconsistency in the disk header on based on a disk analyzer.

So I have created a new disk (disk #3) with the wanted size. When I boot the guest, the disk shows up as an external drive even if it was created in the datastore. I used a utility to copy the original OS disk (disk #1) to the new disk (disk #3) as a bootable drive. Everything worked well, but the disk continues to show up as an external drive even after removing the original disk #1.  I unmapped Disk #2 so disk # 3 was promoted as disk #1 and still shows up as an external.

I checked in the datastore and the new disk is really there.

Also, disk #2 (the iSCSI one) mow shows up as external.

Any clue of what going wrong?

Thanks,

Michel

Message was edited by: MichelD Found my problem. During all the actions I did to get back my boot disk to what it was suppose to be, I probably miss something. Rather than being SCSI disks, there were SATA. I set them back to SCSI and everything fine now.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies