VMware Cloud Community
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 host not responding

I have ESXi 5.1, suddenly it is not responding, I have tried restarting management network, but still no luck, even I am not able to ping the gateway..What could be the reason and how to resolve it?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to connect to the ESXi host directly using vSphere client?

Are you able to ssh to the ESXi?

On ssh session, please run the command cd /vmfs/volumes and press enter.

If the ssh session hangs after pressing enter, hostd will be in no responding state.

Open a new ssh session and try rescanning by running the command esxcfg-rescan vmhba# where #  is the number of the adapter.

0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

No, I am not able to connect it through neither ssh and vpshere client. I am only able to connect it through ILO.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Rescan the host from ilo. It looks to be storage issue.

Host is not able to access your storage. This might require a host reboot.

0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I am not able to access the storage also. But the issue is I am not able access anything. It is only accessible through ILO. When test management network, it fails on gateway. I have cross verify everything from network team as well and their end everything is fine.

Please suggest, what to check further.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I would recommend you to reinstall the host rather than investing much time on troubleshooting considering my business is impacted.It would take 15 to 20 minutes to reinstall the host.

0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

Reinstallation is the last option, Please help me to know, how to troubleshoot this issue?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try to restore network configuration from ILO console.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

Never done this before, is there any Impact on existing configuartion?

0 Kudos
Atul_gen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Existing configuration would be gone.It will restore network configuration as default.

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anything to troubshoot this issue...? whay it has occurs, so that in future it can be avoid.

0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

I got following error:

esx.audit.net.firewall.prt.hooked port vmk1 is now protected by firewall...

how to overcome from this issue?

0 Kudos
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What i am understanding is the server fully isolated from the network, i think you are using network base storage.

I am sure somthing problem with Network ( may be switch port , network port/cable) ..

If you doing below steps then you confirm there is no issue with ESX server.

Plan A:

Incase your managment network configured two NICs, please remove one & restart the network service and check whether you are able to access..

Plan B :

Remove the managment network completely and reconfigure it.

Regards Senthil Kumar D
0 Kudos
sisir
Contributor
Contributor

I have 4 Nics, when I switch my Management interface to other two nics, it works fine. But now the problem is, I had iScsi initiator configured on these nics.

Also when I am going to configure Vmkernel port for Vmotion, by default iScsi port binding is enabled.

Please let me know, how to resolve it and my host back to normal operation?

0 Kudos