VMware Cloud Community
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.1 iSCSI settings different when upgrade to 5.1

Hey,

I've got 3x ESXi 4.1 hosts in my network and I need to upgrade them all to 5.1 shortly.  Not concerned about that as was going to use update manager but when I did some testing on an upgrade as part of my VCP prep I noticed that when I upgrade 4.1 to 5.1 the iSCSI settings screen end up being different.  All the settings come over OK but the gui looks different, as in its missing the network config part as you can see here:-

This is the software iSCSI screen as it shows when the host is ESXi 4.1 and after upgraded to ESXi 5.1

iscsi-esxi4-upgrade.png

But if I install the host fresh as ESXi 5.1 I get this extra screen for network configuration.

iscsi-esxi5-fresh.png

I know it doesn't really matter its not there, but just wondering WHY it isn't there and if this GUI option is missing what else doesn't get carried over on the upgrade?  Its this reason I'm tempted just to do a fresh install on each host as ESXi 5.1 rather than upgrade, and then just patch with update manager going forward?

Any feelings?

Andy

0 Kudos
2 Replies
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

But if I install the host fresh as ESXi 5.1 I get this extra screen for network configuration.

Well, it is the new feature of vSphere 5.1 to have PORT BINDING. CHECK OUT here and here

WHY it isn't there and if this GUI option is missing what else doesn't get carried over on the upgrade?

I am not sure what GUI option is missing, All the other options of General/Dynamic/Static are still present at the respective tabs. Can you elaborate  your question about this a little bit?

P.S: Sorry about the caps, I had it realized after typing all the way and I find it quite lazy to go now and change them. I know, I could have changed it instead of typing all these, but laziness controls my mind right now. sorry again Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
AndyR8939
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

zXi wrote:

Well, it is the new feature of vSphere 5.1 to have PORT BINDING. CHECK OUT here and here

Yep I realized it was a new feature, I was just expecting to see that option when doing an upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1 so was surprised it was missing.

I am not sure what GUI option is missing, All the other options of General/Dynamic/Static are still present at the respective tabs. Can you elaborate  your question about this a little bit?

The Network Configruation tab is missing.  I realize its not a major thing as all is shows is the compliance level and giving the options to Add/Remove, but because it was missing it got me thinking why it was missing and also what else might we be missing when doing an upgrade as opposed to a fresh install.

0 Kudos