VMware Cloud Community
THP
Contributor
Contributor

Duplicate VM Names?

It is possible I am going mad but I swear that in some versions of VC you would get an error message when you went to create a VM with the same name as an existing VM - purely by chance I discovered today that you are able to do that in the current versions so does anyone know:

1. Did that feature actually exist?
  2. When was it removed?
  3. Is there an advanced setting I can change or add to re-introduce it?
  4. If there is then is there a downside to doing so?

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

It is possible I am going mad but I swear that in some versions of VC you would get an error message when you went to create a VM with the same name as an existing VM - purely by chance I discovered today that you are able to do that in the current versions so does anyone know:

1. Did that feature actually exist?

You can not create duplicate vm in any of the VC version. However some time you will see two vm's with same name. This happens when you add two host to VC and both the host has same VM name. If you want  to create any duplicate VM then VC wont allow you to create.

1. When was it removed?

Not allowing to create duplicate vm feature always exists in all the versin of the VC

1. Is there an advanced setting I can change or add to re-introduce it?

No

Thanks,

DJ

0 Kudos
THP
Contributor
Contributor

You clearly can create VMs with the same name (I attach a screenshot of ones I created just now...) and it only gets more confusing:

- The VM my colleague duplicated can be created again with the same name.

- I have tested a bunch of other VMs - some I can create duplicates, some I cannot. There is no obvious connection between those I can and cannot.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Afaik you can have VMs with the same names as long as you place them in different folders (View: Templates and Folders).

André

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you check if they are kept in same VM folder or they are in different folder. As mentioned above you can have same vm name if they are in different folder. Please check screenshot how to select vm folder while cloning or creating VM.

0 Kudos