VMware Cloud Community
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Doing a Storage vMotion on vCenter appliance

I have never Storage vMotion a vCenter appliance. Is it as reliable as Storage vMotion any other VM? For example my nervousness stems from this is the appliance that is controlling the operation, and if there is any pause or latency in the Storage vMotion, it may fail and then I am in trouble.

I am also performing this on the cluster that this vCenter manages. It is the vCenter that manages our management cluster of all other vCenters.

The good news is the SAN storage is very fast and reliable. It is a medium build appliance so almost 1TB of disk.

I have vMotion this appliance many times in the management cluster is manages for hypervisor upgrades, no issues. I have just never done a Storage vMotion.

We take a VAMI backup every morning as well.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You don't have to worry about using Storage vMotion. a little pause or latency in the Storage vMotion dont have any impact on your vCenter Performance.

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess I was worried because it is the management vCenter, I am having a hard time explaining myself, but its like a chicken-egg. You are moving the vCenter that is controlling and initiating the move, and certainly it will be about 1 hour to do the Storage vMotion. 

0 Kudos
D_G_Tal
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What is your vcenter size? 

1 hour for svmotion ? 😮

If you know concept of vmotion you don't worry about it. 

0 Kudos
jeffj2000
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We are moving the appliances to a new array. I assuming about 1 hour from what the others 1TB normal VM took. Its very possible it is faster though. We are moving to an all NVME array. 

0 Kudos