VMware Cloud Community
testing3
Contributor
Contributor

Does windows 10 in place upgrade still break VDI Vms?

We have a group of 12 VDI Windows 10 Enterprise VMs on version 21h1 that we need to upgrade to 21h2. I know that in-place upgrades didn't use to play nice on VDI VMs hosted in Vsphere and I wanted to see if this was still the case? I would rather not have to rebuild the VM.

Host Hypervsior: VMware ESXi , 7.0.3, 20036589

VM Compatibility: Workstation 12 and later (VM version 12)
VMware Tools: Running, version:10341 (Upgrade available)
vSphere Client version 7.0.3.00700

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

For what is my personal experience,

Under normal conditions, the application of version updates does not present particular problems, but then a lot depends on the specific software structure of your virtual machines and their settings that you have to evaluate in advance because you know this, not us.

Then, from my personal point of view, I find it strange that, using desktops running Microsoft Windows 10 enterprise, you have set version 12 (VMware Workstation) as hardware compatibility level and kept, using an objectively outdated version of the VMware tools. Then there is also to say that you talk about VDI, but you do not say how you implemented it, with which product, much less if you are talking about "full desktop" or something else.

All of this affects what your chances of success may be.
In all cases, before taking action, make sure you have valid backups and IMHO it would be better to have a "cold snapshot" in case something goes wrong.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos