VMware Cloud Community
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Does win 7 support for increase of their OS drive space.

Hi All, is there any way to increase WIN 7 based OS Drive( C Drive) space,i am using view 4.6 Environment,ESXi 5.1

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you can see in the screenshot, the virtual disks's name ends with "...-000003.vmdk" which most likely is a snapshot. Since virtual disks with snapshots are used like a chain, you cannot increase the VM's virtual disk, but had to delete all snapshots in order to increase the VM's base virtual disk.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Certainly. Expand the size of the virtual disk, then log into the Windows 7 guest and launch Disk Management from the Administrative Tools. Locate your disk partition for C in the menu, right click and select "Extend Volume".

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Chris,but i am unablw to increase the size of virtual disk(HDD) as it is grayed out & when i login in WIN 7 Disk management,extend volume is also grayed out.

I have attached the snaps,where Virtual Disk size is graye out.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The virtual disk size can only be increase for a VM without snapshots.

André

Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre,but how i increased the size of virtual disk or HDD,as refer to my attachment,options has grayed out.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As you can see in the screenshot, the virtual disks's name ends with "...-000003.vmdk" which most likely is a snapshot. Since virtual disks with snapshots are used like a chain, you cannot increase the VM's virtual disk, but had to delete all snapshots in order to increase the VM's base virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
Subhayaryan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Andre,let me try removing all snapshots. Bye.

0 Kudos