VMware Cloud Community
DCV009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Distributed Switches Migration

hi,

I am planning to upgrade from Windows vCenter upgrade to VCSA 6.5. I would like to know about distributed switches migration.

Will the upgrade migrate vDS as well?

Can someone tell about me the best Practices?

Thanks,

Mathi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As DVS is configured via vCenter only, this is also migrated during upgrade.

0 Kudos
DCV009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Vijay,

Will there be a network disruption during the upgrade?

Mathi

0 Kudos
DCV009
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Vijay,

Will there be a network disruption during the upgrade? Also CAn the vDS 5.5 switch work with 6.5 hosts?

Matt

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

There will be no network disruption. vCenter is needed for setup a vDS and, depending on port mode, when powering in VMs to assign a network port. In the past when you have reboot your Windows vCenter for patching you havent notice a network downtime and the same will happend during the upgrade/migration to VCSA.

vCenter 6.5 supports ESX 5.5 and vDS 5 as well.  Each vDS have its own version number and you should consider to raise up the level after all Hosts are upgraded to.

Regards,

Joerg

0 Kudos
vijayrana968
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Correct. If you see the static port is assigned by default during vm provisioning which is reserved for a vm. On a vCenter level, all network configuration is applied during appliance deployment in second part, so there’s no network disruption.

You can use vDS 5.5 with esxi 5.5 and later version, but remember you won’t able to use this with older versions of esxi once you upgraded. For example, if you upgrade vDS from version 5.5 to 6.0, only esxi 6.0 and later will be supported. You need to upgrade esxi 5.5 before to 6.0 in order to use that switch on those hosts.

MikeStoica
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

You have here vSphere Upgrade Series Part 1: Preparing to Upgrade - VMware vSphere Blog  all the upgrade steps explained.

0 Kudos