VMware Cloud Community
LamyaImam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Disks with parents cannot be expanded

Spoiler
Hello all! I'm new here. 

So, I was trying to expand my VM's hard disk and this error popped up: "Disks that belong to virtual machines with snapshots cannot be expanded. To expand this disk, first remove snapshots."

I checked and there were no snapshots in the manage snapshot section. But I still clicked on delete all and after that this error is showing: "Disks with parents cannot be expanded." I did try consolidating the disk and yet no improvement. What do i do? Can anyone please help?
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Under the Files tab for the VM do you see a .vmsd file? It's possible it will have to be deleted manually. Always have a backup before trying procedures like this. Once deleted take a snapshot and then delete the snapshot normally. You may have to shutdown the VM first. I hope this helps.

View solution in original post

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It sometimes happens that the .vmsd file loses track of the snapshots. This is usually the case if a snapshot removal doe not succeed.

Assuming that you have sufficient free disk space on the datastore - especially if the VM's virtual disk is "Thin" provisioned - and that no other process (e.g. an unsuccessful backup) still locks one of the VM's files, it should work to create another snapshot, followed by "Delete All".

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
mbufkin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Under the Files tab for the VM do you see a .vmsd file? It's possible it will have to be deleted manually. Always have a backup before trying procedures like this. Once deleted take a snapshot and then delete the snapshot normally. You may have to shutdown the VM first. I hope this helps.

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

It sometimes happens that the .vmsd file loses track of the snapshots. This is usually the case if a snapshot removal doe not succeed.

Assuming that you have sufficient free disk space on the datastore - especially if the VM's virtual disk is "Thin" provisioned - and that no other process (e.g. an unsuccessful backup) still locks one of the VM's files, it should work to create another snapshot, followed by "Delete All".

André

LamyaImam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you so much @mbufkin for your guidance. It worked!

0 Kudos
LamyaImam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you @a_p_ for explaining the issue. 

0 Kudos