VMware Cloud Community
ESNJR
Contributor
Contributor

Disk Consolidation and CBT reset

Hello All,

I have a production machine that needs disk consolidation and the backups are failing.  I scheduled the machine to be shut down and ran disk consolidation and also reset the CBT according to vmware.  This machine still seems to have the same issue, I have resolved the issue on other vm's with the same steps.  Anyone have other ideas I can try or why this happens?  I read some article that point to upgrading vmware and others regarding the back up provider.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This machine still seems to have the same issue,

Which exact issues. Please provide more details, like error messages, log files, ...

Btw. Consolidation doesn't necessarily delete old snapshots. Please check whether the VM still has active snapshots. If it does, and those snapshots are not required, consider to run "Delete All" from the Snapshot Manager.

To find out wether the VM has active snapshots, either check the VM's virtual disk name, or take a look at the VM's files in the Datastore Browser. If there are file like <vmname>-00000x.vmdk, the VM has snapshot.

If you see such files, but the Snapshot Manager doesn't show any snapshots, create a new, temporary snapshot. This will enable the "Delete All" option in the Snapshot Manager.

André

0 Kudos
ESNJR
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue meaning after I consolidated the disks and ran a backup the "needs consolidation" came back.   VMware tech support instructed me to do this below which worked on a few other machines but is this necessary?

Power off the vm and edit settings select each disk and copy the path showing in the right hand pane into note pad

The instructions for deleting the ctk files and the vmsd are as follows.

cd vmfs/volumes/datastorename/vmname   <<<<<< go to the vmfolder.

ls -lah  <<<<<<<<<< list all the files in that folder in human readable form.

mkdir _deleteMe    <<<<<<<<<<<< makes a folder called _deleteMe   this is where we will move the files.

mv *-ctk* _deleteMe    <<<<< this moves all ctk files in this folder to the _deleteMe folder.

mv *.vmsn _deleteMe    <<<<< this moves all vmsn files in this folder to the _deleteMe folder.

mv *.vmsd  _deleteMe    <<<<< this moves all vmsd files in this folder to the _deleteMe folder.

cd ../..   <<<<<<<<<<< takes you out of the vm folder.

now power up vm

This will create new vmsn and ctk and vmsd files then do the back up again. The first back up will be a full backup and after that you can do incremental back ups.

0 Kudos