VMware Cloud Community
ExpletiveDelete
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Difference between the 'Persistent ID' and 'UUID'.

so when I run a grab-all in PowerCLI, it grabs everything (of course). The question that I have is that for all of the VMs I see two separate columns for 'persistent ID' and the 'UUID' with a different set of numbers.

Can someone tell me (or cite) the technical differences between these?

thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

PersistentId it's API representation of VM instance UUID you can also find this value in the VM .vmx file where is represented by "vc.uuid" key ...

If we talking about just plain UUID this is derived from the physical computer's identifier and path to the virtual machine's configuration file and its refered as uuid.bios in the VM config file (.vmx).

See: VMware KB: Changing or keeping a UUID for a moved virtual machine

For more info about instance UUID see this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2407731#2407731

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

PersistentId it's API representation of VM instance UUID you can also find this value in the VM .vmx file where is represented by "vc.uuid" key ...

If we talking about just plain UUID this is derived from the physical computer's identifier and path to the virtual machine's configuration file and its refered as uuid.bios in the VM config file (.vmx).

See: VMware KB: Changing or keeping a UUID for a moved virtual machine

For more info about instance UUID see this thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2407731#2407731

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos