VMware Cloud Community
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor

Deploying vcenter HA across datacenters

Hi All,

I have deployed a new vcenter appliance in the environment. HA is configured as well. Now the issue is HA will remain in same datacenter. 

But I want this configuration across datacenter as in case if promary DCs goes off we still have vcenter running from secondary DC(on some host there).

I thought to implement it but encountered a road block . MGMT IP for active and passive node is same and I surely do not have a same vlan mapped on other DC. Any suggestions how I can achieve the deployment of VC across datacenters ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

vCHA is not really used to do what you're intending because of its strict latency requirements. You also require a private network which must be on the same segment. If you don't have this, and if your latency requirements don't match, it won't work.

0 Kudos
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor

The latency across the switches is less than 10 ms. I would have network team check that again. We can create a VLAN and stretch it across DC, the confusion is VCHA IPs will be from that VLAN but what about MGMT IP? Should that be in same VLAN or it can be in different VLAN or we should have 2 VLANs stretched across DC ? Sorry too many questions 🙂 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I think most of the answers you can divine here.

0 Kudos
gouravsinha29
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot. It seems like VCHA can not be deployed accross DCs . We just have a witness disk which needs to be communicating to both the nodes simultaneously and helps getting the other node active if one fails. The purpose for what I was planing for VCHA is unserved . I might have to look for other options like licensing for one more instance and running it in linked mode for resiliency. 

Thanks a lot for the answers on this post.

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Linked mode does not provide resiliency. Each instance of vCenter manages separate hosts. It's not an alternative to vCHA.

0 Kudos