VMware Cloud Community
mlmerritt
Contributor
Contributor

Deployed machines automatically re-enabling windows updates

Hello,

I'm having some trouble with the desktops in our system, They keep automatically re-enabling windows updates.  even if I disable the services on the base image and deploy it, they get re-enabled.  I have also tried adding the registries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication\DisableWindowsUpdateAccess

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU\NoAutoUpdate

and that seems to have helped keep the udpates disabled on the base image, it just does not affect the workstations.

I'm trying to get these updates to stay disabled, i believe it could help with a few of our other issues (File explorer crashing when using "save as," workstations not properly restarting, flickering desktop screens, etc) but it does not seem to want to stick.  Has anyone else experienced this a well and were you able to resolve it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jburen
Expert
Expert

If you deploy a new VM based on a template Windows Update will be set to the default configuration. If you would like to disable the service you can use Active Directory Group Policy or you can add a Run Once command in your VM Customization Specification.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
0 Kudos