VMware Cloud Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Deploy Nested VCSA 8 Legacy CPU's

Hey all! 

Today I wanted to start playing around w/ an eval of vSphere 8 and build it out in a Nested Capacity in my lab. The catch is i have Legacy CPU's of course. Now the nested ESXi hosts I was able to get past unsupported CPU's by adding the allowlegacycpu=true to the /bootbank/boot.cfg and the /altbootbank/boot.cfg and I have 3X ESXi nested hosts running 8.0 perfectly. 

Now the issue is im trying to deploy a VCSA 8 to one of these hosts and I get about %80 of the way and then run into the error below. 

"Task failed on server: This host does not support virtualizing real mode. The Intel "VMX Unrestricted Guest" feature is necessary to run this virtual machine on an Intel processor.
Installer log files are located at "

I imported and deployed the VCSA OVA to one of my hosts and it failed to power on, but then I added Key: monitor.allowLegacyCPU = true to the advanced parameters and it powered on.

The issue is when i deploy w/ the VCSA deployment/installer once it tries and fails to power on it stops the deployment and deletes the appliance and I don't get a chance to add in the advanced parameter to allow the legacy cpu so that the installer can continue running and go to stage 2. 

Has anyone run into this or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm sure a lot of people are running into this while they're trying to learn all the new fun features of vSphere 8. 

Thanks all!! 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

2 Replies
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Already responded via email but for others benefit. Please see https://williamlam.com/2023/03/quick-tip-how-to-deploy-vcenter-server-appliance-vcsa-to-legacy-cpu-w... for solution

danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks again @lamw ! 

I wrote up a new JSON Configuration template file for cli deploy and added in the ovftool_argument for the "monitor.allowLegacyCPU" : "TRUE".

"ovftool_arguments" : {
"extraConfig:monitor.allowLegacyCPU" : "TRUE"

danielmgrinnell_0-1677783418176.png

Worked like a charm!

The VCSA is deployed and powered on w/ the configuration parameter! 

danielmgrinnell_1-1677783468814.png

Thanks again! Now I can play w/ vSphere 8 !! 

0 Kudos