VMware Cloud Community
kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Datastore usage on disk alert needs to be filtered

Is there a way to filter a datastore usage on disk alert?   or suppress it for local volumes?  

We have some appliances running SAP HANA and its all on local disk, it was sized to fit just right by DELL, and that sizing is triggering the datastore usage alerts, teams are complaining about it. 

In other storage alerts just as Storage connectivity lost there is a filter located on the Trigger tab, but this area doesn't exist on the datastore usage alert, is there a way to bring it to life, or another way to filter out alerts from the local datastores that are filled up?  

IF I set the threshold lower it will affect the rest of the environment.   not much granularity, and from what I can tell VMWare has no desire to make this any better that what it is. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi kwg66,

Yes there is. Little bit of work but possible.

1. Navigate to the Storage view in vCenter
  2. Right-click the DataCenter folder the host is under, then click New Folder and then New Storage Folder...
  3. Give the folder a descriptive name (i.e. datastore alarm 98% warn 99% alert)
  4. Right-click the folder then click Alarms and then New Alarm Definition
  5. Give the Alarm a name (i.e. datastore alarm 98 warn 99 alert) and change the Monitor to Datastores then click Next
  6. On the Triggers sceen, click the "+" and then change the Trigger to Datastore Disk Usage. Specify the Warning and Critical numbers that you want.
  7. Click Next then Finish

Now move the datastore that is triggering alerts into this folder and this disk should go green and stop alerting. If they don't, then check and make sure you disable the default Alert Definition after confirming you have moved all the datastores into a folder with alerts on them.

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi kwg66,

Yes there is. Little bit of work but possible.

1. Navigate to the Storage view in vCenter
  2. Right-click the DataCenter folder the host is under, then click New Folder and then New Storage Folder...
  3. Give the folder a descriptive name (i.e. datastore alarm 98% warn 99% alert)
  4. Right-click the folder then click Alarms and then New Alarm Definition
  5. Give the Alarm a name (i.e. datastore alarm 98 warn 99 alert) and change the Monitor to Datastores then click Next
  6. On the Triggers sceen, click the "+" and then change the Trigger to Datastore Disk Usage. Specify the Warning and Critical numbers that you want.
  7. Click Next then Finish

Now move the datastore that is triggering alerts into this folder and this disk should go green and stop alerting. If they don't, then check and make sure you disable the default Alert Definition after confirming you have moved all the datastores into a folder with alerts on them.

Kind regards.

kwg66
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I'll give this a shot.  

0 Kudos