VMware Cloud Community
StringTheory2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datastore 'datastore1' conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter that has the same URL (..) but is back by different physical storage

Hi,

I'm new to vCenter Server, so you can assume that I'm missing something obvious.

I've installed vCenter Server 5.5, and connected one of two ESXi baremetal 5.0.0 hosts successfully. When I attempt to connect to the second ESXi 5.0.0 host, I get the error message:

Datastore 'datastore1' conflicts with an existing datastore in the datacenter that has the same URL (..) but is backed by different physical storage

I have Googled this and found what I think are the top successful answers, but all seem rather unique in their situation (they have a cluster, I don't) etc. Some solutions involve disconnecting the datastore and rebuilding things. I'd like to not make things worse, and can probably live with using vSphere client (not the web client) until I can perhaps start over again with a 5.5 install of a new host once I back up everything from the unconnectable host. I have shut down all VM's on the second host. I've put in into maintenance mode. I've renamed the datastore, all to no avail.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StringTheory2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since the problem was that an entire host couldn't be connected to vCenter because of the issue, the solution involving disconnecting the host didn't apply.

Here's how I solved the issue:

1. Use the fat client vSphere client, connect to the host that can't be connected to vCenter Server.

2. Click on the host, then click the Configuration tab,

3. Click  "Storage"

4. Find the offending datastore on the right.

5. Right-click the offending datastore and click "unmount"

6. Click "Add Storage" in the upper right.

7. Follow the steps to find that unmounted datastore. I gave it a new name just to be safe, although it probably wasn't necessary.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

first check datastores IDs as mentioned in this article:

VMware KB: Upgrading to VMware vCenter Server 5.1 or 5.5 fails with error: Datastore

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
StringTheory2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Since the problem was that an entire host couldn't be connected to vCenter because of the issue, the solution involving disconnecting the host didn't apply.

Here's how I solved the issue:

1. Use the fat client vSphere client, connect to the host that can't be connected to vCenter Server.

2. Click on the host, then click the Configuration tab,

3. Click  "Storage"

4. Find the offending datastore on the right.

5. Right-click the offending datastore and click "unmount"

6. Click "Add Storage" in the upper right.

7. Follow the steps to find that unmounted datastore. I gave it a new name just to be safe, although it probably wasn't necessary.

0 Kudos