VMware Cloud Community
privateren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Data store full. Not able to power on VM

I have a 15 TB VM with a Thick provisioned Disk. My data store is full and No space can be added. Ho can I recover my VM. Any help really appreciated

0 Kudos
9 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not exaclty sure whether I understand the current situation.

Anyway, assuming that the host has sufficient free memory (RAM), you could change the memory reservation for the VM.
The swap file that gets created at power on has a size of configured RAM minus reservation, i.e. with reserving all memory the swap file won't require any disk space.

André

privateren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My VM is powered off and I am not able to start. I dont see any swap files in the data store

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

As mentioned, the swap file will be created at power on.

Do you receive an error message when you try to power on the VM?
Please post the exact message.

André

privateren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No space to create SWAP file. The VM simply does not power on

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Please post the exact message

0 Kudos
Alex_Romeo
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

I had the same problem from a customer, you have three options:

1- add another LUN or extend the existing.
2- if there are other VMs, move them to another datastore.
3- free up space in the datastore.

If you can't do any of this ... there are no solutions. To turn on the vm you need to have space.

I solved it by adding 1TB in the existing lun.

regards,

Alex_Romeo

Blog: https://www.aleadmin.it/
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Delete stuff, if the datastore is full, the only way you can power-on a VM is by creating enough space so that the swap file can be created. Unless you fully reserve memory, as than a swap file would not be created. Either way, I would recommend at least 10-15% free space on a LUN to begin with. You should free up space ASAP, or add capacity to the datastore in some shape or form.

privateren
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I already have one Iscsi server attached and a target added.  Will I be able to add another iSCSI server and a new target to increase space

Current situation is as below

privateren_0-1654098542881.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Sure, you can add more targets. But wouldn't you just be able to add a new LUN to the existing target?

0 Kudos