VMware Cloud Community
geekinlinux
Contributor
Contributor

DRS and HA on a host with two different network lables

hi all,

First of i request you all to read this with little patiently since this is kind of messed setup.

I have 3 hosts

192.168.40.0  (eth0 &1)  host 1

192.168.40.0  (eth0 &1) host 2

192.168.40.0 (eth0) 192.168.50.0 (eth1) host 3

host 3 has few management server on 192.168.50.0 , so rest of the resource are wasted and recently i had to increase guests host 1 & 2 ( mem. of drs cluster) which were running out of resource, so i planned to join host 3 in to the existing drs cluster , but DRS requires similar NETWORK & VMOTION KERNEL LABLES, here  host 3 will have 2 service consoles 2 network lables 2 vmotion lables. i finally created two virtual switches one for 192.168.50.0 network, and other one is with with same network and vmotion lables to joing drs cluster. working great, i disabled drs for the vms runing 192.168.50.0 to avoid migration of vms to other hosts running on 192.168.40.0. Everything working great as i wanted. Problem was, due to two network lables HA is failing on the host3 says some thing like network misconigured, check task list for more info .  Because of this HA failure on host3, if host 1 is failed, vms on host 1 are being restarted on host 2 by  HA feature, but those are not being migrated to host 3 by DRS to load balance, if i try to migrate manually to host 3 on the validation check it shows red alert saying that migration not possible because HA is not congigured on host 3.

Does DRS don't work if HA is not configured or failed on a host ?

Please help me in this regards.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

The network labels for the Virtual Machine network must be identical across the hosts for that host to be selected as a HA/DRS target for that VM.  If host 3 doesn't have the same network label being used in the VM, the VM will not be automatically migrated to that host.

I don't know that having the vmk label be identical is really a requirement.  I don't think that makes a difference... just as long as the management vmk's and vMotion vmk's can talk to each other.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
Ethan44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

What about gateway , are you using single gateway or two ?

"a journey of a thousand miles starts  with a single step."
0 Kudos
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

please check this KB, i think that describe your scenario:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101920...

Let us know if the error persist

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos