VMware Cloud Community
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS Question

Can anyone tell me where I might find a log or something that tells me what DRS is doing ?    Specifically what the reason(s) were for moving an VM for example.

I know DRS has performance first function, but when I see a VM being moved from 1 host to another and the host it is moving to has twice the RAM allocation and about the same CPU load I have to wonder what the hell is going on.  If it's based on IO or network (which were also about the same between these hosts) then I would really like to know why it moved.

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
paramoyoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

How did you set up a migration treshold?

what about drs advanced options? do you have any? such as AggressiveCPUActive

0 Kudos
ChrisI88
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Automation Level  - Fully Automated

Migration Threshold  - Apply priority 1, priority 2, and priority 3 recommendations.

Predictive DRS - Predictive DRS is disabled.

Virtual Machine Automation - Individual virtual machine automation levels enabled.

Additional options are set to the defaults and cpu over commit is off.

power management - off

Adv options - None

But what i really want is a log file or something that expands what i see in the Recent Tasks.   VM moved from host X to host Y then something like "because of cpu load or IO latency" etc....

0 Kudos
dhanarajramesh

you may look into drmdump\ in vCenter and this log is in compressed state. if you are saying Active RAM doubled, then there is a possibility of page sharing might not be activated for this VM ( Memory pages are identified as unique) in new host.

0 Kudos