VMware Cloud Community
mtrohde
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS Loadbalacing CPU vs Memory for VMs

We have a cluster where we are having some extreme resource and load balancing problems.

The cluster has 10 ESXI hosts, 4 have 32 core w/ 512 memory and the other 6 have 40 core w/ 768 memory.  I have DRS set to 4 recommendations and added AggressiveCPUActive = 1 to DRS advanced features.  My VMs are very CPU spikey going from 10% to 100% with very little notice.  Till the application people fix their issues causing these CPU spikes I need vSphere to be more responsive to CPU spikes.  Is there a way to get DRS to prioritize CPU over Memory when it makes load balance choices beyond the setting I added?  Right now the VMs tend to hang out the 4 hosts with 32 core.  Looking at host memory and cpu loads currently DRS appears to be trying harder to keep memory use balanced over CPU.  Host see stuff like 50% CPU and 30% Memory on the 32 core hosts while the 40 core hosts have 20% CPU and 30% memory use.  Would be much happier if CPU use were uniform across the hosts with memory all over the place.

If no other solution present itself I am going to free up other hosts of 32 CPU and 512 memory to make the cluster hosts uniform in size.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
parmarr
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello,

Heres a blog that might help know more and understand if what you are asking can be done:

Load Balancing vSphere Clusters with DRS - VMware vSphere Blog

Sincerely, Rahul Parmar VMware Support Moderator
0 Kudos