VMware Cloud Community
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

DRS CPU issue

I have a HP ML310e Gen8 v2 and a Dell PowerEdge R710 server.  I am trying to get DRS working but I don't know which EVC mode to use.  I have tried Nahalem/Westmere/Haswell and I keep getting error about CPU features.  I have removed all VM;s from the DELL (which is westmere) and put that into a new cluster that has EVC enabled.  I removed Vcenter from the host outside this cluster and add it into the new cluster with EVC.  I then try to migrate a VM.  1 or 2 will work but most give me the CPU  error pointing to

kb1034926.    I looked in the bios of the Dell and do not see anything for AES.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi there,

Really need to know the CPU series that you are running within your hosts to give the correct answer then we can use the following site to determine an EVC mode:  http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=cpu

If it is not possible to determine CPU series easily then I would also start with the Penryn or Merom modes for EVC.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Sorry I thought I included that.

The HP ML310 is Haswell and the Dell R710 is Westmere

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Sorry was looking for more precise information like Xeon 56xx series or Xeon E3-1200-v3 however based on the information then the Nahalem EVC mode will work for both your current hosts.

Also you mention that you don't see an option for AES-NI in the DELL BIOS - just wondering what version of the BIOS you are running as there has been several "fixes" for AES-NI with DELL R710 servers: http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01656617M/1/PER710_BIOS%2006%2004%2000%20Release%20Notes.txt From this is appears you need to be on at least v2.2.10 to see AES-NI turn up in the BIOS as an option and I would certainly consider running one of the latest for complete confidence. (NB: v2.1.9 first introduced the BIOS option)

Kind regards.

0 Kudos