VMware Cloud Community
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Customize permissions access to a specific VM

Hi two all,

I need to assigne a AD user to add and manage disk of a specific Virtual Machine but I try a lot of assignement and only which works is to assign ad level Datacenter Object.

I also try to use the default 'Virtual machine power user (sample)' without success.

Have anyone idea to find a solution?

Regards

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you assign permissions to the custom role on the datastore?
That might be the solution

Since when you assign the permission to the Datacenter all the permissions will be inherited by child objects.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Where is the VM in your inventory hierarchy? Can you put it in it’s own folder in the hierarchy?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I have a custom folder folder for this machine but if I try to assign my custom role, with permissions in attach, I receive the error no permission when I try to add a new disk to this machine.

If assign this role at Datacenter object I can add disk without problem

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Did you assign permissions to the custom role on the datastore?
That might be the solution

Since when you assign the permission to the Datacenter all the permissions will be inherited by child objects.

padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No I'm giving permission to the cluster where's the VMs....I will try to give it on the datastore objects but I think it's a strange configuration because, not in my case, if there's a cluster storage I need to configure to all datastore the same permission.

Thanks

0 Kudos
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

If there is a storage cluster you need to give the permission on the cluster, not on each Datastore.

0 Kudos
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes correct, I never thought of that.

I'm trying to configure on the storage object

0 Kudos
padulka
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

thanks @nachogonzalez,

I need to set the permissions on the cluster object and also on datastore objects.

0 Kudos