VMware Cloud Community
golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cross vCenter vMotion Utility usage problem.

Hello all,

I'm using the Cross vCenter vMotion Utility v2.2 to move vms from vcsa 6.0 to vcsa 6.5 (both use embedded psc).  I am able to transfer from 6.0 to 6.5 pretty much without issue.  However going from 6.5 back to 6.0 doesn't seem to work.  Here is a typical error...

pastedImage_0.png

Please ignore the source and target site names as I labeled them as going from 6.0 to 6.5.  In the info field it speaks about the dvportgroup-347 network device not present.  This is true but I do not have a dvportgroup-347 configured for either vcsa. 

Anyone else using this fling?  Any problems?  VISHALGUPTAwilliamlamb

Thank you...

Regards,

Mark Johnsen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not supported in any configuration to go from 6.5 back to 6.0 (unless at 6.5 U2 and destination is 6.0 U3). This isn't a limitation of the Fling utility but of vSphere. See the following KB for a complete matrix.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2106952

View solution in original post

8 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It is not supported in any configuration to go from 6.5 back to 6.0 (unless at 6.5 U2 and destination is 6.0 U3). This isn't a limitation of the Fling utility but of vSphere. See the following KB for a complete matrix.

https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2106952

golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for your prompt reply, daphnissov...

I did read this kb.  I did not believe there was going to be any switch upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 but I guess there is.

I saw this and assumed the dswitch to dswitch would be fine.  Not sure how (or why) the fling would state dvportgroup-347 if not already created.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is true only for forward migrations and not reverse. If your vSphere 6.5 environment uses a 6.5 vDS then movement to to a vSphere 6.0 environment using a 6.0 vDS would be problematic.

golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

One item I neglected to mention is that I exported the dswitches from vcsa 6 and imported into 6.5.  Would the importation of those switches automatically update them to the new (higher) level?

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not necessarily, but at what revisions are your two vCenters?

0 Kudos
golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Version 6.0.0 Build 3617395 and Version 6.5.0.13000 Build 8024368 (U1g).

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then, as I stated earlier, you are not at the required versions to perform a 6.5 -> 6.0 migration.

golfradio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I'll go with that, daphnissov.  Again, thanks for your time and consideration.

Mark Johnsen

0 Kudos