VMware Cloud Community
vmamx
Contributor
Contributor

Created the .vmx file but will not reconfigure afterwards

So I have been trying to virtualize my accountants old vista computer, for a week now. I have tried to create the vmx file and have it automatically reconfigure all in one go, but it fails at 99%, tried with out it so it just creates the volume and then do it, gives me a "unable to find the system volume, reconfiguration is not possible" error. I am so stuck its ridiculous.

Booting the vm machine in VMware Player produces a black screen.

So here is what i think is wrong with it. The machine is a 32bit OS, yet it was reading up to 3gigs of ram. I have read that could be an issue. So i took out the extra stick of ram, and changed in msconfig the amount of ram to load. Then tried to create the VM again.

Log file below.

I cannot stress enough how frustrated i am with this machine, I have done so many virtualizations never a problem.

Help me, "insert name here", your my only hope.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
vmamx
Contributor
Contributor

Running the command

ren c:\bootmgr deletemelatter

returns with

the system cannot find the file specified.

when i do

dir /a c:\

i see the bootmgr there. But it wont run the command

** Update **

• bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  • c:
  • cd boot
  • attrib bcd -s -h -r
  • ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
  • bootrec /RebuildBcd

when i run these commands it finds the windows installation and i add it to the boot list. if afterwards i run the bootrec /scanos it says it finds 0 installtions.

I have also ran the commands to make sure the drive and partition are active.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Sounds like a Windows issue to me in that case.

Say - when you list the directories of C: do you see the "Windows" folder etc there?

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos